Digital Media Teacher
HARRY COSTNER IS A DIGITAL MEDIA TEACHER AND CREATIVE DIRECTOR OF COSTNER MEDIA.
Harry Costner is the director of Network 21, a student-run TV studio and new media lab at Gunston Middle School in Arlington, Virginia. He has been involved with youth development through the arts and digital media for twenty years. His diverse media arts experiences include producing music for film and television, performing in bands on national music tours, teaching guitar and songwriting at youth Rock n’ Roll camps, and volunteering at community centers teaching music production and hip-hop history. Harry has given successful workshops at Educon, ISTE, SilverDocs (SchoolDocs), DPLAfest, and performed at South by Southwest.
Harry's mission is to instill students with creativity, confidence, and independence. Network 21 students have won regional, national, and international film awards. In 2016, Harry's students won a national gold metal in the Scholastics Art and Writing competition in NYC for the short film The Bracelet. In 2018, his students won best in show in the Arlington How To Video Contest and 2nd place in the AT&T National Film Contest. His brand of new media skills offers students diverse opportunities for success in our networked, global economy.
Costner Media offers students, teachers, school systems, and community centers dynamic ways to harness the power of the arts, digital media, and education technology. Click on the offerings page to learn more about workshops, camps, curriculum development and lessons currently available.
- Arlington Public Schools Fresh Films Award Video Documentary
- Arlington Snapshots: Books on World Off Drew Gunston Collaboration
- ABC/WJLA TV News Spot on National Award-winning Student Cyberbullying Video
- 8th graders reach out and win through video
- Tech Without Support: IT Snags Hamper Schools' Technology Use: Edutopia
- Make Your School a Better Workplace: Scholastic
- Train Yourself: A Guide to Online Tech Tutorials: Edutopia
- Media Literacy eBook co-published 2013: Media Literacy: Three Perspectives from the Public Schools
-B.A. Wake Forest University 1991
-M.Ed University of Maryland Global Campus 2014